Monday, December 26, 2011

A Look Back, a Look Forward- Join Me!

The Year in Sewing




I hope everyone had as perfect a Christmas as we did! So much great family time, and even more to come this week. Lots of last-minute sewing of course, and I have many great things to show you. But for now, something fresh and new that I'm pretty excited about!

I had thought of having a show-off-your-best-sewn-gift kind of blog event, but I figure everyone's going to be doing a lot of that in the next couple of weeks anyway. So I propose something a little different. It will take some thought and maybe a little online picture-collaging, but I think it will be lots of fun. 

The thought actually occurred to me recently in the shower that it would be great to write a post rounding up the best of what I've made in 2011. I've been sewing for nearly 4 years now, but this last year brought many changes and opportunities for growth sewing-wise, so I knew this would be an interesting blog post, at least for me to write if not for you to read. 

Then I saw Sophie's absolutely gorgeous post doing that very same thing, and I knew I had to write mine and not let it fall by the wayside of forgotten blog ideas. In fact, I probably should have called this thing "It was a very good year" just like her post, just to keep things positive. (But good grief, you know no matter how many times I have to figure out the code for one of those damn buttons it never gets any quicker. Set in stone. Html stone.)




So here's the deal. I'm going to post my "year in sewing" on January 1, and I'd love for you to join me! If you do a similar post, you will be able to link up to mine thru January 10. Then we'll have one big but concise chronicle of what we all accomplished this year. Sort of like a big pep rally. (Except I never really liked pep rallies, so pretend my metaphor is much cooler.)


Here are some things to think about (just suggestions) in a quick-list format so you can stop staring at these paragraphs:
  • What new skills did you acquire in your sewing this year? It could be as simple as sewing a straight line or as complex as... I don't know many complex sewing techniques, I'm not that complex. But maybe you turned into a full-on dressmaker or obsessed quilter- like me!
  • What did you have the most fun making? What sewn item makes you happy every time you see it?
  • What gifts were you able to make? 
  • What did you make for yourself? (gasp!)
  • How did your tastes change?
  • Did you find any new sewing community/ friendships, either local or online?
And I'd love for us to look ahead to 2012 sewing-wise as well. 
  • What new skills would you like to learn this year?
  • What big projects are on your list?
  • How are you going to make time (be it a lot of time or a little) to accomplish your goals?
I'm not really great at making goals, but I'd like to be that kind of person. My goal is to make more goals... And also accomplish them I guess. But I have to take the time to think about it and put it out there, so this will help me.




What about the pictures you say? Oh yes, we want lots of pictures. You don't have to include every single thing you made this year, unless you want to. But a good way to boil things down is to make picture collages. You can do that for free on picnik.com or Mosaic Maker. I think this whole thing will be such a fun way to meet new bloggers because we will get an idea of your whole "sewing persona" rather than just a small taste. 

Really, it's up to you what you make this post. I know that I'm not often the most reflective person, but I think there is so much value in thinking about where we've been and where we are going. That's what I love about the New Year. So why wouldn't we do this with our most beloved past time of sewing? 



There are only 3 rules. Ok, maybe 4: 
  1. Keep it positive! This is meant only for encouragement and community. Don't start looking at anyone else's sewing accomplishments and get down on yourself. Dude, if sewing blogs make you feel inadequate rather than encouraged and inspired, then close the laptop. We all have different things going on in life, but we are all making completely unique creations that only we can. Who cares if you only had time to make 2 things all year? You are awesome. Show us. 
  2. Spread the word. Link up here when you post, you can use my button up there if you'd like. (I swear, I will punch a puppy if anyone emails me and says that code doesn't work. Just kidding, I love puppies. And constructive feedback.) I'm really excited about this, so it would also be great if you could mention it on your blog before the party starts. No one likes New Year's parties with like 3 people there right?
  3. Keep it to sewing. I like other crafts, nothing against them. I'm honestly uber-impressed that you learned woodworking/ paper-mache/ knitting/ body painting/ glass-blowing/ cat-hair crafting/ basket weaving this year. We just have to focus somewhere. You understand.
  4. Keep it super-duper positive. This may sound similar to #1. It is. After all, you've accomplished a lot.


Some of us are easily distracted, so thanks for reading this far into my crazy plans. Who's in??



















7 comments:

  1. This is such a great idea! I will definately be taking part! I look forward to seeing the fun everyone had over this past year. Thanks for putting this together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh! conveniently, i already have that post ready to go on the 31st so i'm IN! just have to find time to link it up ;) should be time between the wedding and the honeymoon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I'd love to join in. We'll see how that goes, as I have not been such a regular blogger--but this is a great reason for me to get back on the wagon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea!! It's so great when we can all share our accomplishments together and inspire each other! Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. btw, just now noticed the cat hair crafting link and had to give you props for working that in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a wonderful idea. I also really appreciate how supportive and positive you are!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was thinking of doing some sort of looking back/plans for next year type post soon, so this is perfect! Great idea, Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments-I LOVE to hear from you, so speak up! And I usually reply in email to your questions, so make sure your profile has your email.